With nearly 7000 films available on Netflix, picking something to watch can become an anxiety inducing ordeal. If you’re anything like us, you’ll scroll through every genre without finding anything you’re really in the mood for. Your “My List” would better off titled “Things I Might Watch, Eventually”. Luckily, Moviefied NYC is here to help. Here’s our pick of the best films that were released on Netflix Instant Streaming this week.
Starring: Kirk Douglas, Ralph Meeker, Adolphe Menjou
A group of soldiers in the first World War led by Colonel Dax (Kirk Douglas) refuses to carry out a suicidal attack. Dax must defend his soldiers against charges of cowardice.
- strong anti-war sentiment
- shot in Kubrick’s distinct visual style, with long tracking shots and deep, sharp focus
- arguably the best film about the first World War
Starring: Dustin Hoffman, Meryl Streep
A newly divorced couple becomes involved in a custody battle, with their young son caught in the middle. The workaholic, barely present father (Dustin Hoffman) suddenly must learn to take care of his son on his own.
- strong performances from both leads
- nuanced dialogue, often improvised, lending addition realism
- heartwarming story
- won five Oscars (Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Best Directing, and Best Writing)
Picking up where the first Evil Dead left off, protagonist Ash Williams (Bruce Campbell) holds up in a secluded cabin in the woods to fight off an onslaught of evil spirits.
- turns up the intensity of the original with more gore and better effects
- mixes over-the-top violence with slapstick comedy
- a cult classic, often considered one of the greatest horror films of all time
A theater producer and and accountant come up with a scheme to get rich by intentionally producing a Broadway flop.
- Mel Brooks at his wacky best in his debut feature film
- wild, energetic performances from the two leading actors
- a mix of slapstick humor and satire
Director: Warner Herzog
Starring: Christian Bale, Steve Zahn, Jeremy Davies
A German-American pilot (Christian Bale) is shot down and captured by Pathet Lao sympathizers during the Vietnam War. Based on a true story.
- shot on location in the jungles of Thaliand
- simple and grounded adventure story
- authentic, with a realism approaching that of a docudrama
Directed By: George P. Cosmatos
Starring: Kurt Russell, Val Kilmer, Sam Elliot
- approaches classic Western archetypes through a modern lens-
- exciting and entertaining story