The year is already seven months old, so we would like to celebrate (the more than halfway point) with our best three movies and performances so far. We combined lead and supporting roles into one category; there just hasn’t been a lot to choose from and, well, it’s so true: there really aren’t many good roles for women. It will be fun to see how our choices hold up with the films that remain to be seen in the next five months.
Best Performance by an Actor:
2) Dwight Henry –The Beasts of the Southern Wil
3) Matthew McConaughey – Magic Mike
Best Performance by an Actress:
2) Michelle Williams – Take this Waltz
3) Jennifer Lawrence – The Hunger Games
What has been great about this year so far:
- The real folks of Carthage, Texas, in Bernie.
In Prometheus, we finally get to see what’s inside the space jockey. After thirty-three years of wondering “what was that elephant-looking space creature thing in Alien?”
- The comedy team of Iron Man and the Hulk.
- The killer unicorn in The Cabin in the Woods.
- Channing Tatum’s um. . . dance moves.
The use of color in Take this Waltz.
- The Grey, an action film marketed around Liam Neeson punching wolves. Did he even pet one? Great movie anyway.
- Hey Man in Rock of Ages.
- Everything Moonrise Kingdom – score, kids, design, amazing cast.